Sunday, 11 September 2011
Broccoli & Butternut Squash Salad
1 medium butternut squash (450g/1 lb), peeled, de-seeded and cut into bite size pieces
Basmati & wild rice (50g/2oz)
Dry puy lentils (50g/2oz)
Florets only from medium head of broccoli (250g/9oz)
Dried cranberries (50g/2oz)
Pumpkin seeds (25g/1oz)
Kernels from 1 corn of cob (175g/6oz, cut off cob
Red chili pepper (25g/1oz), de-seeded and diced
Juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbs olive oil (15ml)
1. Heat oven to 180C (350F).
2. Put butternut squash in a bowl, pour over the olive oil and shake bowl to cover squash.
3. Pour butternut squash into baking dish and bake in oven for 25-30 mins or until tender.
4. Bring saucepan of water to a boil.
4. Add rice and puy lentils to water and cook rice according to instructions on packet (usually takes about 25-30 mins). The lentils will be cooked by the time the rice is ready.
5. Five minutes before rice is ready, add the corn kernels and broccoli to the rice and lentils.
6. Once the rice mixture is cooked, drain well and pour all ingredients into a large bowl.
7. Add the butternut squash to the rice mixture.
8. Add the pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and chili pepper to the rice mixture.
9. Pour the juice from the lemon over the mixture.
9. Gentle combine the ingredients without squashing the broccoli and squash.
10. Season to taste.
This can be eaten as is or eaten cold the next day for lunch.